Please review the rules before registering.
1. Spotted Horse, LLC, the race director, volunteers, sponsors, and all those involved in bringing this race about are not responsible for your safety or your well-being.
2. Each participant is considered to be on a private excursion and remains solely responsible for any accidents in which he or she may be involved. No responsibility can be accepted for participants becoming lost, stranded, injured, or worse.
3. Participants must obey all laws: city, county, state, federal, etc. They must conduct themselves at all times in a manner that will not bring discredit to the event.
4. You are on your own. Use your head. Watch for and yield to traffic; there will be no course marshals to hold up traffic. Yield to all emergency vehicles.
Route and Checkpoints
5. Participants will be responsible for downloading course maps, cue sheets, and/or GPX files prior to race day. These files will be riders’ means of navigation. There will be no course markings. Some street signs are missing or illegible.
6. There will be checkpoints along the route where all participants must check in.
7. A cut-off time will be established for reaching each checkpoint. Any participant not reaching a checkpoint before the established cut-off time will not be allowed to continue past that point.
8. The route must be followed at all times. No short cuts or alternate routes are permitted. (The course may be altered by the promoters in the event of inclement weather or other unforeseeable circumstance. Should this occur, participants will be sufficiently advised.)
9. If you exit the course for food, supplies, or any other reason, you must re-enter the course at the same spot you left. If you get lost, you must backtrack to the point you left the course.
10. Participants may not advance along the route by any means other than by bicycle or by foot.
11. Participants must start and complete the entire course on the same bicycle frame. All other components and equipment may be repaired or replaced* during the event. (*Single speeders, see rule #14.)
12. While operating their bicycle, participants must wear a securely fastened helmet that meets the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) standard for bicycle helmets.
13. All participants must have at least one clear front headlight and one red taillight for the duration of the event. More is better. All participants must have something reflective on their body, in case they are off the bike; e.g., vest, arm or leg bands, clothing. More is better.
14. Participants in the single speed categories shall have only one gearing combination installed on their bike, and must complete the entire event using the same gearing combination.
15. Participants in the fat bike categories shall have tires with a width of 3.8 inches or more.
16. No e-bikes, electric assist, nor anything other than a 100% human powered, two-wheeled vehicle is allowed.
17. The Spotted Horse Gravel Ultra is a self-supported, ultracycling event on the gravel and dirt roads of Iowa. Participants should carry with them necessary food, water, equipment, and/or money for C-stores. Caching supplies along the course is not allowed.
18. Personal outside support is not allowed during the race. Family or friends being present out on the course, helping you with navigation via phone, or leaving drop bags will result in your disqualification.
19. Shopping at C-stores, visiting friendly farmers, and receiving help from fellow participants is allowed and encouraged.
20. Drafting on another event participant is allowed. Drafting on a non-participant cyclist or on a motorized vehicle will result in disqualification from the event.
21. Have a plan for whom to contact in an emergency or in case you cannot finish the race and need to be picked up. Note that cell service is limited; be prepared to travel several miles to receive a signal.
Withdrawing from the Race
22. Participants may, in the case of an emergency, mechanical failure, or other problem, be assisted by motorized transport. By accepting motorized transport, you will be automatically disqualified from the event.
23. If a participant needs to withdraw from the race, notify the race directer via the phone number that will be provided to all registered participants.